Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Mexican" Tacos

If any of you know me well, I am a food snob.  I admit it. 

I like food to be well done. 

I like it to be as authentic as you can make it.

I like it to be from scratch as much as possible...

There are others, but you get the idea, I am a food snob.  :)

So, when my sister in law made tacos for us a few years ago...I had to have the recipe.  (as much as I sort of follow a recipe)  Here it is in the very basic form for you to recreate your own Mexican style Taco's

You of course need tortillas....made from corn.  You will be heating these later.  I like to keep mine frozen and then just take a sharp knife and break off what we need.  (we use these for a few different things)

Cut some onions little.  Cut some limes.  (if you have key limes, half them...regular limes are quartered)

Shred your meat.  I like a pork roast (crock pot it until it is super flaky), P likes beef...but pork was cheaper today.  Add some milk (I don't know, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) and salt.  Heat it up.  You are going to cook it until it is getting nice and shredded and the milk has been "sucked up" into the meat and the milk is not leaving a "trail" like the photo below...


Now make some guacamole!


You are going to need some of these...Avocado, half a lime, bunch of cilantro, hot peppers (like jalapenos) and some salt.  Chop the cilantro really fine.  You only need about a Tbsp of it for your guac so keep the rest for your tacos.  Mash everything all together.  Here is my "beef".  Guacamole I personally believe does not have cottage cheese, tomatoes, etc in it.  :)  My two cents.  Told you, food snob.


Heat up your tortillas until they are warm all the way through.  P likes his with a bit of oil, but I like mine without...so I do some of all of it.  :)

Place a bit of guac, onions, cilantro, meat and squeeze a bit of lime on the whole thing.  Eat and ENJOY!

Cheers

2 comments:

Cassi :) said...

We'll have to try these, I've never made tacos or most Mexican stuff if we didn't have sour cream or cheese. . . but these sound yummy!
I LOVE guacamole! But, I agree - do as little as possible to the avocados. Someone at church the other night put mayo in it - yikes!

Lynn said...

Oh you and me both! We LOVE our tacos around here. I know you like convenience as much as you like making it from scratch like me. So what is your recipe for corn meal tortillas.. I have a handmade wooden press for ours, and wanted to see what your recipe was.

I totally agree with you about what does NOT go into guacamole too. I never put tomato in ours. LOL!

Here is my recipe that I've used for years and is the most requested. What to trade with your recipe? I would love to know it.

LYNN'S Guacamole RECIPE:

2 Ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
2 tsp. Onion Flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 Ripe tomato, diced (optional for those who do want it)

Mix and mash all ingredients together. Serve with chips, crackers, veggies or whatever.