Thursday, June 24, 2010
A New World of Books to Explore - The Edge Chronicles
Meet the Edge Chronicles.
I am totally in love with this new series. When we had the library book sale (I went back again...and this post only shows half of what I got...) we found these pretty little books. There were 5 so we picked them up and thought that we might give them a chance later on. Well, after falling in love with Percy Jackson, I had to find a new series to read. Enter in this one. :)
This series is probably geared towards about 10-15 years of age. (although I am loving it) It is a bit dark (Harry Potter is a darker book series though so not terrible) with creatures in it and a whole new world described.
In the opening book we are introduced to Twigg. He is raised as a Woodtroll but feels pretty out of place. He is picked on, made fun of, and generally shunned by everyone but his family, until one day he does something no woodtroll has ever done...he strays from the path. This leads him on a fantastic adventure through the Deepwoods. The Twigg series is the first three books. (Beyond the Deepwoods, Stormchaser, and Midnight over Sanctaphrax)
In the next book we are given a glimpse into Quint's life. He is a brave young sky pirate turned scholar. He goes on a dangerous quest to help save his professor. He braves his deepest fear and overcomes it. He also gets the girl! :) This is also a series of three, but it is broken up with the next series of three. (the Quint saga is #4 Curse of the Gloamglozer, #8 The Winter Knights and #9 Clash of the Sky Galleons)
In the 5th book The Last of the Sky Pirates we meet Rook. He is an under-Librarian who dreams of going to the surface and becoming a Librarian Knight. He receives a stunning and wonderful invitation to travel to the Freeglades and seizes the opportunity. (the Rook series are #5 The Last of the Sky Pirates, #6 Vox and #7 Freeglader)
The whole series is capped off with a final book (#10) called The Immortals.
I would heartily recommend this series. There are wonderful creatures introduced at a rather fast pace in the first book, but you become familiar with this amazing new world quickly and come to love it. There is a version of cursing ("Sky above" and versions of it) but it is rather oblique and I think it may pass over children's heads (it took me almost 2 books before I realized that is what they were saying!). There is violence. The world that they occupy is a dangerous one, but it is done with little actual gory description and always with horror not glory in the violent act. (I am still feeling the phantom sucking pain on my eyes from the Blood Red Glister though...:D)
I have not gotten all of the books (only got the first 5 at the book sale) as my personal stash...but you can bet that I will be buying them...maybe even for full price! >Gasp< (although I may try this site and see if I can't trade for them...)
If you have read them, let me know what you thought.
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment