Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grocery Shopping

OK

Jocelyn asked how I save money Grocery shopping.  I shop for 2 adults and 3 kids, two of which eat like adults and spend $300/month.  So, here is a brief list of some of my "methods".  :)

1.  I shop at the cheapest store I can.  When I lived in Lethbridge there was not a Superstore for a few years, and that was my favorite cheap store.  This was so traumatizing to me.  :)  So I went to every store and shopped that store until I had been to each one.  (this took me a few months)  When I had finished I took each receipt and decided which one was the best price overall and shopped there for my majority shop. (Here I shop almost exclusivly at Superstore, but SOME things are cheaper at Costco like flats of eggs and romaine lettuce)

2.  I ALWAYS make a list and stick to it.  I do not buy extra things that are not on my list.  (except when P is with me...he is so very rarely though!)  This makes me be extra sure that everything is on my list.  I keep a paper on my fridge that EVERYTHING gets written on as it gets used so that we can buy another next month.

3.  I plan all my meals a month in advance.  I write down all the ingredients that I have and ones I don't.  (the regular stuff I keep in my storage will be replaced as I write it on my list from #2)

4.  I have a total year supply for 8 adults with LOTS of fun stuff chucked in there as well.  (like my chocolate syrup and cocoa!)  This helps with the having stuff on hand that is everyday useable things.  A great thing that I can't live without is this Food Storage Calculator that helps me restock and keep track of everything I have.  (it is great, you can change everything on it and adjust it to calculate it all for you...great for math deficient people like me)

5.  I stick to my plan.  I cross the meals off as we eat them, and try to only use the ones I have planned for.  When I plan my meals I am using my food storage and rotating it, so I have to be very aware of what is going in and out of my shelves and refridgerator.

6.  I don't let my kids eat whatever they want.  I have food for them already made like muffins and cookies and stuff they can just grab, but they can't just rummage and eat all my cheese.  :)

7.  I make almost everything from scratch.  I don't have stuff like Kraft Dinner or ready made mixes on my shelves.  This takes a bit more effort but saves me major $$$. (see my post below for a great couple of books if you want to try it)

8.  I grow a very large garden.  Even when we lived in an apartment with only a balcony, I still grew as much as I could.  (and let me tell you, that can be alot)  When the produce is ready if we are not eating it...I am storing it.

9.  I freeze, dehydrate, can, and generally keep my food for as long as I can.  I am VERY busy in the kitchen from about August till November.  We save so much money this way that for me it is so worth it!  (and the taste of homemade is SOOOO much better!)  I have many canning and dehydrating recipe books that I pour over all year then test out each year.  :)

Hope that some of these tips are helpful.  This is just a few things I do, we eat well, we have fun food...but we eat cheap!  :)  and I am by no way saying this is the best way to do it...this is just how my grocery bill is so cheap...

Cheers

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, you're amazing. I totally admire all that you do, you are a true homemaker. I can learn a lot from your tips. Though, knowing myself, my lack of motivation to cook, and my tendency to switch meals at the last minute, I know a meal plan for the month wouldn't work for me. And, I don't enjoy being in my kitchen, nor am I good at making many things from scratch. But, we spend about 600-800 a month on food, sometimes more, that's huge. So, I will learn from your example, try to be better, but I know I will never have a fantastic food budget like yours.
What do you do at the end of the month when your produce is wilting? Or how do you store milk for the month? Do you use powdered milk when the regular milk dwindles? Just wondering, I do a big trip to Superstore and Costco once a month, but I need to visit a store weekly to top up those things like bananas, milk, lettuce, etc.
Thanks for sharing this!

Cassi :) said...

Definitely need to do more to incorporate my food storage in everyday cooking - new goal!!